Sunday, October 12, 2008

LIVE

Life is better lived.

Today, I played ultimate frisbee.

Yes, sometimes people question whether it is a sport. Yes, ultimate frisbee was featured on Stuff White People like (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/09/23/110-frisbee-sports/). People think ultimate isn't a sport. At times when it lives up to most of its stereotypes it isn't. The same thing goes for other sports though when unathletic people go out and shoot hoops or throw a ball around. Whenever you get really athletic, competitive people together and give them a ball or disc and an objective with a few rules, sweet things happen. This is what I witnessed today at the Southwest regionals. On a cold, fall day teams from as far away as California gathered together to compete. Sick 80 yard throws, hucks, layout d's, fierce marks, and athleticism were on display for the small but rowdy crowd. Johnny Bravo played the Condors in the final. Seeing high level disc live is great. If you are in doubt check out this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kst2yrNJolY You are literally standing next to the players on the sideline and can hear everything. The excitement is contagious. Adrenaline starts pumping even when you aren't the one going for the disc and could never conceivably sprint the length of the field and sky a 6 and a half tall man for a score.

Incidentally, the Pakers were also playing during this time period. A random man I accosted to see if he knew the score acknowledged that he had TiVo-ed it to watch later. Although I love football and was heavily invested in winning my fantasy game today, I'm really glad I woke up to go to frisbee and see the athleticism live. I engaged with people more and was a witness to some sweet plays. When I got home I watched the highlights and caught up.

Today I witnessed some great live games while also winning my fantasy football game. The best of both worlds.

No comments: